Monday, January 10, 2011

Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car

"But it wasn't a dream. It was a place. And you and you and you...and you were there."  
 





In 2.5 weeks I saw almost all of my immediate family members and friends (sorry to those who missed a photo opp.).  It made me realize exactly what it is that I am missing here.  (But not for long-I'll have several visitors over the next three months!  Let me know if you'd like to be added to that list.)  Being back, I jumped quickly back into the American way of thinking, like expecting things to be resolved immediately.  Take my lost luggage, for example.  I expected it to be at my HOUSE the very next day.  Here in Spain my baggage is also missing and I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that there is NO information on it after over 24 hours and three flights from Lisbon (where I arrived from the US). And when there is information I will have to go PICK up the suitcase from the airport.  This will require a 1.5-2 hour bus ride (one way and not including wait time).  I find myself thinking that this is completely ridiculous.  But it is not ridiculous for Spain.  It is normal.  As my roommate said, 'tu- paciencia' (You - (have) patience.)  A week or so will be a normal time frame for my bag reappear.  

I also find it disappointing that stores are not open here.  I asked my mom how late the grocery store was open (I really wanted some grapes at 9 PM).  When she said 'all night' I couldn't believe what I great country I was born in.  I could buy grapes at any time during the day or night!  

The little taste of freedom I got from having my very own car to drive wherever I wanted whenever I wanted (like to the grocery store, Noodles, Dairy Queen and friends' houses) was hard to leave too. (Although brushing the snow off my car off and scraping my windows part I could do without).  My feet and the bus system here can take me places, but it requires more time and patience.  

Central heating is one of the best things about the US.  I wasn't ever as cold there (inside or outside) as I am inside my piso here.  I actually have to go outside to warm up (the sun is shining!).  And along those lines I love the clothes dryer.  It makes washing clothes so much less of a commitment.  You don't have to plan how many days it will require to dry the clothes and whether or not you have that time to live without them.

What wasn't hard to leave was the accent we all have.  I was very sensitive to our whiney, nasaly 'a'.  Sometimes I wanted to stop talking because I couldn't make my accent or the burning in my ears go away. 

I also won't miss the store clerks constantly nagging (a word we can say with our accent) me to open a credit card account and save 10%, helpfully suggesting a car wash with my gas purchase, just reminding me that if I find 2 shirts that I like I can get one free, holding out a sample for me take or calling out 'excuse me, can I ask you a question?' as I walk through the mall.  I much prefer the Spanish way- being silently stared down by a clerk or ignored completely while they talk to their coworker or friend. 

And I won't miss looking like an ad for Tommy Barlett's Exploratory when I take off my winter hat.  My skin and hair did not like the lack of moisture in MN and WI in the winter.  My skin was scaly and my hands full of hangnails. 

And what can we learn from this, boys and girls?  That the grass is always greener on the other side and that absence makes the heart grow fonder.  

Class dismissed.

1 comment: