When I reference an Ashton Kutcher movie in the title of my blog entry, you know I'm going to have a good story. Here's the update on my Spanish classes: if every student has to go through this much work to register for classes the classes must be filled with very motivated and/or stubborn people.
The results of the placement test were released on Monday and sadly my name did not appear on the list. (Insert joke here about being in class of by myself.) I was told I had to return to the University of Sevilla the next day to hear a good explanation for why my name did not appear even though I follow all the steps and met all the deadlines (like all the good little Americans do).
Not one to miss out an a good explanation, no matter the cost, I took the bus to Sevilla on Tuesday after class. From the bus stop I walked (a half hour) to the University. When I arrived, there was already a line forming to talk to a professor about the problems and/or changes people had with their registration. I counted fifteen people in line. Twice a professor walked by and said something to the effect of 'hoo- all these students have a problem with their registration for Spanish class?' I wondered (quietly to myself) what was special about this year's registration.
When it was my turn I sat down and the woman asked me what the problem was. I explained that I was registered, but I wasn't on the class list. She inquired as to when I took the placement test. I told her last Monday (the 14th) (the deadline was the 16th, by the way). She handed me a stapled sheet of about eight pages and asked if my name was on that list. I turned to the back pages and found my name (a step in the right direction, I think)! She explained that there was a problem with the test and many people didn't get placement in time. She said that I would be placed with the next group. And if I had a problem with the class I was registered for, I could come back to the professor office hours (like this) from 10:30-12:30 AM this Thursday to make a change. I thanked her and left. It took all of two minutes.
Ok. Those are the facts. Here are my questions, analysis and venting:
1. Why couldn't a note be placed on the website stating that there was a problem with the placement test and that results would be delayed?
2. Why couldn't that eight-page list be changed into a PDF and added to the department's website?
3. Do I get a refund for the week of class that I will be missing due to circumstances beyond my control?
4. Really? I get to get up early, take the bus to Sevilla, walk another half hour (or take another bus) to the University and look for my registration. If I don't like it I get to wait in line again? And then what will happen? Will you give me a Darwin-type Award for stupidity? 'She was so determined to take Spanish classes that she went back and forth from Alcalá to the Language Institute for 15 years. Woefully, she never successfully registered and never learned Spanish.'
5. Do I really want to take these classes?*
*This is the only question for which I know the answer (ooo...look at how well I can speak English): YES.
My American Accent news:
1. We say the words 'laugh' and 'live' with similar vowel sounds. The difference in sounds is easier to distinguish with a British accent. Go ahead- try it at home!
2. The students in fourth year called me out today for my pronunciation of the letter 't' in words like 'party' and 'letter'. We say 'pardy' and 'ledder'. So do the Beastie Boys in their song 'You Gotta Fight for Your Right to Party'. They also taught the students the word 'jerk', 'busted' (TWO meanings) and 'to party'. Isn't their a saying that goes something like 'Everything I need to know I learned from a Beastie Boys Song?'
Photos of Alcalá that you haven't seen yet:
| Fishing in Agua de Sevilla (province) |
| Another great Alcalá (running route) view. |
| A Spanish horse (but a horse is a horse, of course, of course) |
I wanted you to know I just read your whole blog (because I am capable of remembering URL's). So when your stats show someone used Mozilla from Spain, it was totally me :)
ReplyDelete