Friday, March 9, 2012

And I quote

Ah, the niños:

- "That shirt looks like something my mother would wear."

- It was quiet, so I was playing a song on my iPod while the two students in my private lesson colored. I chose one of my favorites. "It was better without the music." (For the record, it's was a song from Shrek.)

- A few minutes later Single Ladies by Beyoncé came on. It was loud, so I turned it down.  "No, turn it up. I like that song," said the little first grade boy.

- "Say something in Spanish," the student said to me.
   "What do you want me to say?"
   "Anything, just talk in Spanish."
    So I did...
   "See," the student said to another, "She sounds German. hehehehehe"

- "Melissa, do you want a cookie?"
   "No, thank you, that's your snack."
   "Yes, but I can give you one. Or did you already have your snack?"

- A first grader was eating a chorizo sandwich. He took out a piece of meat and handed it to me. "Oh, thank you," I said just as the greasy piece of meat slipped out of my fingers and onto the floor. "Oh, dear." I picked it up and walked to the garbage. The student tried to stop me, arguing that it was still good to eat. I threw it away anyway. He made an annoyed sound and pulled another piece of meat from his sandwich. "That's the last one you get!" He told me.

-A first grader recently hurt her foot and was walking with a walker. The next time I saw her she was completely healed. I asked her (in Spanish) how her ankle was. "What?" she asked. I tried again. "What? I don't understand English. The problem is that you speak as much Spanish as I speak English, so we can't understand each other." (Yeah...that's it....)

No comments:

Post a Comment