I don't think I have to tell you that I arrived at the Aracena bus station without a map. I took a few guesses on which way to go (namely, not uphill) and eventually found myself right where I wanted to be: in the center of town.
My first stop was the famous cave tour (La Gruta de las Maravillas). I had researched the tour times, and I came upon it just in time. I bought the package ticket with the Museo del Jamón. I also picked up a map of the city at the ticket office/tourism office, so I did well at my first stop. The tour was in Spanish and besides myself and a German couple, everyone on the tour was a native Spaniard. The tour was not strenuous in the least. It was a little slippery, but there were a lot of handles and stairs built especially for tourists and tours. The tour was a series of rooms with stalactites and stalagmites and underground lakes with the clearest water I've ever seen. It was hard to take photos since it was so dark, but Google it, it's worth a look. The last room you visit on the tour is called the 'Sala de los Desnudos' (the room of the naked people). Its famous because the formations look like naked (male) body parts.
The next stop was the Museo del Jamon (the Ham Museum). I think the name speaks for itself. The guide explained the process of feeding and caring for the pigs and why the ham tastes so good. I learned the words 'dehesa' (meadow) and that the pigs that eat acorns (bellotas), the most prized pigs, don't eat them all year round, they just eat them when they are in season.
| Hams of the World |
| Ham stats. China has a lot of pigs. |
| Free Ham Sample! |
After the ham appetizer, I headed out to find a restaurant recommended in a tour book. It wasn't supposed to be too far from the museum, just down the street. The streets were pretty empty because it was siesta/lunch time. The restaurants were open though and a few food shops. I found this one:
| Mountain-Oak Cheeses |
| The Plaza de Marqués. |
| The casino is straight ahead. |
And just to the left, in the direction of Portugal was the restaurant.
But I stopped to take a photo of this before I ate:
| Iglesia Parroquial de Ntra. Sra. del Carmen (s. XVI) |
| The Rincón de Juan. (Juan's corner/nook). |
![]() |
| Here's a photo from the Internet of the inside. |
This was the part of Aracena that I really liked. I had a few extra hours and I hadn't seen the part of the city at the top of the hill, so I climbed the hill. I ran into some traffic on the way up:
The view from the hill was amazing. The sun, clouds and blue sky were absolutely perfect. At the top is a 13th century Gothic church next to a castle. Underneath is the cave I toured earlier. The website said the hours of the church were 10-6, every day and they didn't close for lunch. It was closed when I got there though (no, it wasn't 6 yet). I think it was because it was a holiday weekend. I didn't see any signs though, which is normal. I guess Spaniards just know when things will be open and the outsiders just don't. It didn't matter though. The view from the top alone was worth the trip up.
| This is what's at the top: Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Dolores del Castillo |
I wandered back down to the city, but still nothing was open and I didn't have anything else on my list of things in Aracena to see. So I found a plaza near the bus station and I sat and rested and enjoyed a view of Spanish life. There were a couple of adults sitting on a bench talking while their kids played in the plaza (I assume they were playing soccer, because that's what most kids do in the plaza, but I can't remember exactly). There was also a dog I assumed was theirs. He came up to me with a rock in his mouth and placed it at my feet. I kicked it. He ran and got it and brought it back to me. I kicked it again and he once again retrieved it. This went on for a few minutes until I got bored with it. He did not. He started to whimper because I stopped playing fetch with him. I kicked it again, but decided that was the last time. I got up and made my way toward the bus station. As I did one of the kids playing in the plaza shouted 'Adios' to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment