Thursday, November 4, 2010

Spanish Steps

This week I came several steps closer to becoming a temporary Spaniard.  First, I picked up my ATM card from the bank and confirmed that, indeed, I have money, or should I say, EUROS, in my account!  (Now if only I can keep some there until the beginning of December.)  Next, I had my second appointment to get my TIE card.  I was told to come to the office for an appointment from 3:30-6:30.  I arrived around 3:15, got a number and sat and waited.  An Argentinian man who was also there getting his identity card spoke to me while we waited.  For the most part I had no idea what he was saying.  I know the general idea of what he was saying, but he used the 'vos' form of Spanish (an alternative for the 'tu' form used in other countries) and had an accent that was really hard for me to understand.  The good news is that I got to practice saying 'No entiendo'.  After maybe 30 minutes my number was called.  I only had to hand the man at the office my papers, photos and passport and then give him one fingerprint.  I barely said a word.  Step three for the TIE is to wait 45 days and then go and pick it up (in person).  Let the count-down begin. 

Step three in become a Spaniard is dressing the part.  This week I bought a shirt (the arms are a little tight, so I just can't button them), pants (straight leg because I'm not yet ready to try to sport tapered-leg jeans), a couple of scarves (only 2 Euro each!), a purse and a pair of boots.  When I was packing to come here, I thought long and hard about bringing my two pair of boots, but I told myself I would never wear them and that it was a waste of valuable suitcase space.  They will be the first things I'll put in my suitcase to take back when I return to the US for Christmas.  Boots of all lengths are quite popular here in Spain and they are worn outside your pants.  This is probably the style in the US too, but I pay less attention there for some reason.  At any rate, I can now look (more) Spanish for at least one day.

It feels like school/work actually started this week.  I have activities to do in each class, I have English conversation classes for which I have to have activities created, and I have private conversation classes 3/4 days a week with a man who is a mathematics teacher at a university here in Sevilla.  He has applied for a grant to study in Germany starting in February and wants to be able to speak English so he can communicate when he is there.  He is really good at English so basically he just talks for an hour and I correct little errors in word choice or pronunciation and teach him some vocabulary.  It's pretty easy, but at the same time it's really interesting to gain insight into what things a native Spanish speaker has trouble with in English.  I'm sure it will help me plan lessons and understand what speakers are trying to say in the future.

I have also set up an intercambio (exchange) with two other students from the 5th year class (the highest level).  We agreed to speak in Spanish half of the time and English half the time so that we can each practice our second languages.  I really need to practice speaking.  At home (as in most other places) I tend to let the more vocal people talk as I am content to listen.  Being in a smaller group with these students will force me to talk.  That is the only way I will improve.  I am determined to leave this country speaking Spanish much better than I do now. 

Yesterday I had my first discussion with the 4th year students about stereotypes that the Spanish have about the US and vice versa.  It was really informative and the students were so involved that we didn't get to the rest of the lesson.  We spent one whole hour discussing stereotypes.  I have another 4th year class tonight, so I'll compile all of the stereotypes they have about Americans and post them in another entry.

For your viewing pleasure, a photo of Alcalá and some of the trails I run on:




Hasta pronto,

Melissa/Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment