Monday, November 15, 2010

Water, water everywhere

Look, desperate times call for desperate measures.  I couldn't very well go to my private English class in a two-day showerless state of reek (that was exacerbated by Sunday morning's run). I had three options:

1.  Take a cold shower
2.  Cancel the class at the last minute
3.  Heat water on the stove and get clean Laura Ingalls-style (at least I think this would be Laura Ingalls-style. I don't remember reading any of her books (someone else was always reading them and really, when was I going to need to know anything about pioneer life?  Nicki, is this how Laura took a shower?).

I chose option 3.  I was a little over zealous in making sure I had hot water, but after burning my leg I let the water cool and ultimately felt satisfied that I was clean.

I went to my private lesson and then afterward headed straight to the bank to pay for the 5-hour pool pass.  I had to wait maybe 15 minutes (I was 3rd in line), but after I paid I headed home, grabbed my swimming attire and headed (up the hill and down the street) to the pool.

When I arrived and handed in my paperwork for the pool pass, the pool worker discovered they were out of pool passes.  Luckily they had some from 2009 that they decided would function just fine (here's hopin').  Then I was told I couldn't go swimming until 5 PM.  I think they thought I was coming for a class or something.  When I told her I just wanted to lap swim she said I could go in right away!  So to make a long story finally end:  I got to go swimming today!  And I was the only one in the pool (there was another pool full of older adults doing water aerobics of some sort, but no one else in the lap swimming pool).  And although the water was about 10 degrees warmer than I am accustomed to, I am glad I FINALLY got to go swimming. (And Judy, I sneezed a bunch of times, of course.  One sneeze on my way home from the pool was so loud that a man on the other side of the street was startled and asked if I was going to be alright.) And guess what?  When I got back to the piso I discovered we have hot water again! Maybe you can trust Monday, Monday after all...
The pool passes.

2 comments:

  1. I believe Laura would have called it a "bath". And she only did it on Sundays, Monday is laundry day. I'm done reading them now if you would like to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray for swimming and may the old pool pass work mom

    ReplyDelete